This internship provides an exciting opportunity to engage in a farm-based youth employment program in South Central PA. While interning with the LEAF Project, you will be exposed to various sustainable agriculture ventures in our region from diversified vegetable production to small-scale artisanal cheese making to sustainable meat raising, butchering and curing.
At it’s core the LEAF project is about developing leaders. Therefore, you will have the opportunity to engage in a mentoring relationship with staff who have been working in the field of transformative youth development for more than a decade, and you will have the opportunity to lead a crew of young leaders, ages 14-18.
You will engage in workshops with youth on topics such as the food system, leadership, and community development, participate with youth in on-farm work projects, cooking classes with local chefs, hunger relief work, and farmer’s markets and develop community events centered around creating a healthy local food system.
If you are chosen to intern with the LEAF project you will be a part of an innovative program that engages and inspires youth leaders and community members in building a resilient local food system, while exposing yourself to an innovative approach to solve the pressing food system issues and health related challenges facing the youth of today.
- Interest in and familiarity with youth development, community development, or social justice work (previous experience preferred)
- Interest in agriculture and food systems as well as a capacity and willingness to participate in hard work and physical activities in challenging weather situations.
- Strong communication skills and willingness to engage in workshops on identity, equity, personal growth and goals etc.
- Interest in adventure or leadership education.
- If possible (though not required), skills in any of the following: graphic design, photography, social media, audio and/or video production.
- Work hard alongside program staff and youth in on-farm work projects, cooking classes, workshops, hunger relief work, and farmer’s markets.
- Manage youth daily during transitions to new activities or work projects through games, initiatives, discussions, etc…
- Maintain daily attendance and violations tracking records.
- Engage with youth in a weekly goal setting and feedback process that encourages hard work and personal growth.
- Participate with program staff in pre-program orientation.
- Assist in video project throughout season.
This job description is only a summary of typical functions of this internship and is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible internship responsibilities and tasks.